Friday, May 7, 2010

decisions

image from www.special-needs-stroller.comWe're having to make a decision regarding equipment with Asher.  We were told today that, more than likely, our insurance will only pay for one mobility device every 3-5 years.  I really want to get Asher a Maclaren Major special needs stroller (shown to the left).  Frankly, he doesn't need all of the support that most wheelchairs offer because he has pretty good trunk and upper body control - intense positioning isn't needed.  I like the stroller option because it's light, portable, and very non-invasive.  It hardly even looks like special needs equipment.

That said, it's a stroller.  He wouldn't be able to manipulate it himself like he would a wheelchair.  Our hope, of course, is that that becomes a moot point because he will begin walking; however, if he doesn't, then we would be stuck with a stroller and not be able to obtain a wheelchair (which, by the way, can run well into the thousands).

I think the stroller he has now holds up to 35 pounds, so we've still got about 10 pounds of wiggle room.  And really, if we wanted the Maclaren that badly, we could afford it out-of-pocket.

The problem is that I don't want a wheelchair.

I know.  I suck.

But you see, it will be quite awhile before Asher would be able to direct himself anyway.  And I really, really think he'll walk.  But then you have that giant "IF" cloud hanging over you, and the last thing I want is for him to be in the first grade and not have a way to move himself from point A to point B without assistance, even though he would be capable if he had the right equipment.

Sigh.


image from www.convaid.com There is one wheelchair by Convaid (shown here, though I think I prefer the version that has planar seating... it looks comfier to me) that I like because the big wheels come off and it converts to a stroller, so you kind of get the best of both worlds.  I could live with that... BUT - and you knew there'd be a "but" - the smallest one they have (12" seat) is meant for kids who weigh at least 44 lbs according to one retail website.  Maybe that's wrong??  The Convaid site has all the measurements on it, but I don't have the first clue how to translate all of that.

Another sigh.

Any experienced folks out there with advice?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Heidi! Does he know if the Convaid I mentioned would work, perchance? Asher is 25 lbs and 31" tall. His legs are around 12", I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you have a proper stroller for right now and they only buy one once every few years I would seriously wait. My child outgrew her walker and we were told they would not get her another unless it effected her walking. It did, we got another and two weeks later she started walking without it. I would say the wheelchair and forget the stroller. The main goal being independence. So many things could happen and quite quickly with kids and well thought out decisions seemed kind of pointless.

    ReplyDelete