Tuesday, April 27, 2010

new button!

Asher's new AMT mini-one button arrived via UPS today!  We're so excited!  Our doc put the order in several weeks ago, but Apria told me it was on about a three-week back order.  No matter - it was definitely worth the wait.
In construct, it's really not all that different from the mic-key button he was using before.  In fact, it works in exactly the same way and is even compatible with mic-key extension hoses (which is fab, because we have a boatload of them that I'd hate to throw out).  What's different about it is that it's made entirely of medical grade silicone and has no hard plastic on it, and it's even lower-profile than the mic-key is... which is saying a lot, because the mic-key is known for its small size.
This is what a g-button kit looks like in its packaging, for those of you who have ever wondered such things:



I meant to take a picture of the mic-key before we changed it out, but like the super on top of it mom that I am, I totally forgot... so I dug up an old picture that shows it:



(This was right after his plastic surgery to remove his hemangioma - he was a champ!)
Now, in all fairness, the above pic was from January of '09, so Asher has obviously grown some since then.  Here's what his new button looks like:



 
Don't let the redness around his stoma site alarm you.  I've actually had docs tell me that his site looks really good in comparison to a lot of other kiddos.  We hope that over time his skin won't be as sensitive and it will look even better, but for now we're happy to not have any major issues (e.g. infection).
I feel so much better about the mini-one button.  The fact that it's all flexible silicone gives me a lot of relief when it comes to thinking about him hanging it up on something, like his bath seat.  And I like that it's smaller in general and less obvious underneath his shirt.  We're hoping the smaller size helps with tolerating tummy time, too.
Hooray for new things!

6 comments:

  1. This looks great! Our GI mentioned switching to this same button, but insurance won't cover any until after July. . .Hope it works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fabulous! His site does look good, but I wonder if the softer button will help it look even better? Please update with any good or bad news about this button as you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you notice his stoma leaking at all? Lily's stoma only looks red like that when either the reflux valve is broken (which, I'm sure you know how long those stupid things last) or if she's leaking bile from around her stoma (usually indicating she needs a new tube).
    It looks so nice and flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the reflux valve on the mic-key wasn't working anymore. I feel lucky if those things last a week... ugh. If only my insurance would pay for a replacement every time that happened. I think we get a button every 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are getting ready to switch from the bard to the Mini-One and was wondering how the Mini-One button does with Tummy time? My son spends alot of time on his belly (army crawling). Does the button open often? I see this post was from April, are you still pleased with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are! My son doesn't crawl, however, and he doesn't spend a lot of time on his tummy. I can't imagine it would be any worse than any other button, though - it's the smallest one I've seen. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete