Friday, March 18, 2011

The W's Abide

We're in.

Finally.

Over the past half year or so I've learned a couple of important lessons about house selling.  One, it is a monumental effort to present one's home to complete strangers on a regular basis.  Multiply that by pi for every pet you own.  You might need to work on your multi-tasking skills because you will have to do that multiplication whilst vacuuming.  Constantly.  Invest in ear plugs if your small child is less-than-fond of the roaring beast that is Bissell.

Two.  Never sell your house.

Okay, maybe that's not quite realistic.  Families grow, businesses relocate, needs change.  Yadda yadda, I know.  Our family of three (+4 four-leggeds) had most definitely outgrown our little two bedroom cottage.  It wasn't helping matters that I clung am clinging to every single toy and article of clothing that Asher had ever owned with a Vulcan death grip. 

Aside: That's the second time this week I've worked a Vulcan reference into conversation.  The first was laughing with some girlfriends as they discussed Farmville tactics.  Trekkies everywhere should be proud of me.

It was time for three bedrooms, and it was time to move to a neighborhood that was a little more family and wheelchair friendly.  And I must say, I love our new home.  Love it.  It's a ranch, which gives Asher full accessibility to all the main areas of the house, and it even has a handicap accessible bathroom for when he gets a bit older and we enter the world of solo-bathing.  The jetted garden tub is nice for therapy, too.  Mommy therapy.

Nonetheless, the cottage holds many memories, and I started crying like a baby was a little sad as I locked the back door for the last time.  Our first home as a family is now ready for someone else's firsts.  Asher won't remember snuggling with his daddy after his first bath at home following a four-month hospital stay, won't remember his first birthday, won't remember his first giggle - but I always will.



2 comments:

  1. I love that Cayla! So happy to hear you are loving your new home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cayla, I loved reading this! Your writing is refreshingly honest and you made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete